Faculty job opportunity
Clinical Assistant Professor, Architecture - The Design School Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University
The Architecture and Interior Design Programs in The Design School at the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University (ASU) invite applications for a full-time appointment at the rank of Clinical Assistant Professor, Architecture beginning spring 2024.
We seek a colleague who is dedicated to advancing the mission of The Design School and the ASU Charter and Design Aspirations. The successful candidate will be able to teach graduate and/or undergraduate-level design studios, lecture courses, and seminars, and develop and deliver online content. Practical experience and knowledge of structural principles, building construction, and materiality are desired. The candidate should be prepared to teach via in person, online, and hybrid formats. The successful candidate is also expected to engage in service within the school, the university and the community.
About the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts
The Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts is the largest comprehensive design and arts school in the country. The Herberger Institute is located within a dynamic research university focused on transformative change. Built on a unique combination of disciplines, the Herberger Institute comprises the Schools of Art; Arts, Media and Engineering; Music, Dance and Theatre; ASU FIDM; The Design School; and The Sidney Poitier New American Film School, and the ASU Art Museum. The Herberger Institute is committed to developing and scaling ideas that strengthen the role of designers and artists across all areas of society and culture, and increasing the capacity of artists and designers to make a difference in their communities. For more information on the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, visit herbergerinstitute.asu.edu.
About The Design School
The Design School is the largest and most comprehensive school for design education, with programs ranked top 20 in the nation. From programs in architecture, landscape architecture and industrial design to interior design, urban design and visual communication design, our students master the skills and research techniques needed for their future design professions through innovative, transdisciplinary methods. Our mission is to educate future designers to shape collaborations, synthesize complexity and catalyze transformation for public good. By engaging in dynamic and ongoing discourse about the future of design education, we aim to create a school that is relevant, collaborative and transformative. For more information on The Design School, visit design.asu.edu.
- An accredited professional degree at the graduate level in architecture, interior design or a related field; and
- A minimum of 5-years of professional experience in architecture, interior design, or a related field such as engineering: and
- Demonstrated experience in teaching and/or consulting in university-level design studios and lecture/seminar courses; and
- Demonstrated excellence and innovation in practice and teaching.
- Professional licensure (ie architectural registration, NCIDQ certification, or related credentials).
- Commitment to exploring the current and future role of architecture and interior design as socially responsible design practices,
- Demonstrated experience developing and teaching interdisciplinary design curriculum;
- Demonstrated ability to instruct in multiple modalities, including online, in-person and hybrid to both undergraduate and graduate audiences.
- Ability to teach building structures and construction related to building design and architecture, including contemporary topics related to novel structural systems and materials. The desired student learning outcome is an understanding and mastery of conventional construction, innovative construction technologies, and a developed intuition for structures without arduous mathematics.
- Ability to incorporate and teach new software to help students understand the technical issues in their design work, including digital fabrication and/or robotics.
- Ability to teach materiality and selections, including building products, materials, and finishes, including client and occupant needs, project budget, maintenance and cleaning requirements, lifecycle performance, sustainable attributes, environmental impact, installation methods, and code-compliance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current life-safety regulations and guidelines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of sustainable design practices and materials.
- Clear interest in design-build practice.
The Architecture Program has launched a new curriculum that has been designed to be innovative and impactful. The program offers a professional Master of Architecture (MArch) degree both online and on ground, a four-year pre-professional Bachelor of Science in Design (BSD) in Architectural Studies, and a Minor in Architectural Studies. In addition, the School supports two graduate research degree programs conferring, respectively, a Master of Science in Architecture (MSArch) and a Doctor of Philosophy in Design, Environment, and the Arts (PhD). We offer concurrent Master’s degree options with each of the other disciplinary areas in The Design School. In addition, graduate students can pursue concurrent master’s degree options across ASU.
The Interior Design Program features a strong, diverse faculty and growing student enrollment. The interior design program offers an acclaimed four-year undergraduate program in interior design, which leads to a degree of Bachelor of Science in Design (BSD) as well as a 3+ or 2-year graduate professional program that leads to a Master of Interior Architecture (MIA) degree. Both programs are Council for Interior Design Accreditation-accredited. The Interiors program also supports two broader graduate programs, the Master of Science in Design in Interior Design (MSD) and Doctor of Philosophy in Design, Environment and the Arts (PhD).
The application deadline is October 25, 2023. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications in the reserve pool may then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the position is filled.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses that positively impact the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Our research is inspired by real world applications that blur the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. In 2022, ASU was named a Hispanic-Serving Institution and in 2023, ASU joined the prestigious Association of American Universities. ASU is deeply committed to advancing in innovative ways while sustaining a welcoming, supportive, and empowering environment for all members of our community.
Instructions to Apply
- A letter of interest that addresses the candidate’s interest in and qualifications for the position;
- A curriculum vitae;
- A portfolio of teaching and/or professional and creative work;
- Contact information for three references including name, e-mail address, and telephone number.
All applications must be submitted electronically via LINK http://apply.interfolio.com/132857
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses and certifications.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.