Joyce McCall was appointed to the faculty at Arizona State University in 2021 where she teaches undergraduate and graduate courses in the School of Music, Dance, and Theatre. Prior to her appointment, she served as an assistant professor of music education at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In 2015 to 2018, she served as a postdoctoral resident scholar and visiting assistant professor in music education at the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music.
McCall earned a Ph.D. in Music Education from Arizona State University, and a Master of Music Education and Bachelor of Music in Clarinet Performance from The University of Southern Mississippi. Her research—positioned within the context of frameworks like critical race theory and double consciousness theory—centers on how race, class, and culture impact educational equity in music education. Additionally, she examines how certain pedagogies such as culturally relevant teaching influences learning outcomes among minoritized racial populations in the music classroom. She has presented sessions and research at the American Educators Research Association, the College Music Society, the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic, the National Association for Music Education, and the Society for Music Teacher Education, and published manuscripts in the Handbook of Critical Race Theory in Education (2nd edition), Journal of Music Teacher Education, the Desert Skies Symposium on Research in Music Education, and the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association News.
McCall has proudly served as a clarinetist and saxophonist in the United States Army Bands from 1999 to 2013. During her service, she was awarded the Army Achievement Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal. Previous assignments include the 151st Army Band in Montgomery, Alabama; the 41st Army Band in Jackson, Mississippi; the 36th Infantry Division Band in Austin, Texas; and the 108th Army Band in Phoenix, Arizona. She is a member of Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity for Women and Delta Sigma Theta Sorotity, Incorporated.
- Arizona State University, Ph.D. (Music Education)
- The University of Southern Mississippi, Master of Music Education
- The University of Southern Mississippi, Bachelor of Music in Clarinet Performance
- Music Learning and Teaching
- Culturally Relevant Pedagogy
- Critical Race Theory
McCall, J. M. (forthcoming 2021). “A Peculiar Sensation”: Mirroring Du Bois’s Path into Predominantly White (Music) Institutions in the 21st Century. Submitted for review in Action, Criticisms, and Theory in Music Education.
McCall, J. M. (2021). Straight, no chaser: An unsung blues. In M. Lynn & A. Dixson (Eds.), Handbook of Critical Race Theory in Education (2nd ed., pp. 203-220). Routledge.
McCall, J. M. (2017). Speak no evil: Talking race as an African American in music education (In press). Contributing author. B. Talbot (Ed.), Marginalized Voices in Music Education. Routledge.
Vasil, M. & McCall, J. M. (2017). Perspectives of two first generation college students towards pursuing a doctoral degree in music education. Journal of Music Teacher Education.
McCall, J. M. (2016). Creating a space with “the voice” in mind. PMEA News, 81(2), 60-63.
McCall, J. M. (2015). Degree perseverance among African Americans transitioning from a historically Black college (HBCU) and university to a predominantly White institution (PWI) (Doctoral dissertation). Retrieved from Pro-Quest Dissertations and Theses. Retrieved from https://repository.asu.edu/items/30047
McCall, J. M. (2013). Music programs at Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs): A content analysis of undergraduate music education curriculum. In S. Cooper (Ed.), The Journal of the Thirteenth Biennial Desert Skies Symposium on Research in Music Education: 2013 Proceedings (pp. 129-143). University of Arizona School of Music.
- American Educational Research Association
- College Music Society
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- Diversity Scholars Network
- Jazz Educators Network
- National Association for Music Educators
- National Band Association
- Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity for Women, Inc.
- UI College of Fine and Applied Arts (FAA) Diversity and Equity Committee (2020-2022)
- UI School of Music Undergraduate Committee (2020-2022)
- University of Illinois Faculty Senate, 2019-present
- UI Music Education Area-Don Moyer Boys and Girls Club Partnership, 2018-2019
- Facilitated Brown Bag Critiques, Lecture Series, Indiana University, Spring 2016-2018
- Facilitated discussions in the Jacobs School of Music on the intersections constructs such as race, class, and gender, 2016-2018
- American Educational Research Association, Division L Committee, Education Policy and Politics, 2021
- Invited to apply for Journal for Music Teacher Education Editorial Committee, 2020
- College Music Society (CMS) Council on Music Education, 2019-present
- Illinois Music Teacher Education Council, 2019-present
- Diversity and Equity Committee, Indiana University, 2015-2018
- Assisted in initiating partnerships between Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Indiana University Jacobs School of Music (JSOM)
- Assisted in creating and facilitating social and cultural spaces for students in JSOM
- Assisted in constructing initiatives towards diversity, inclusion, and equality in JSOM
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, IL, Assistant Professor of Music Education, 2018-2021
- Central Connecticut State University, New Britian, CT, Summer 2021
- Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, Postdoctoral Resident Scholar/Visiting Assistant Professor of Music Education, 2015-2018
- Boston University, Boston, MA, Online Facilitator, Fall 2016, 2017
- VanderCook College of Music, Chicago, IL, Instructor, Summer 2017