Current Undergraduate Students
Change of Major Requirements
The Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University is a leading institution for the study, practice and development of design and the arts. Each discipline within the Herberger Institute - art (with the exception of Art Studies), dance, design, music, and theatre and film (with the exception of Filmmaking Practices) - has entrance requirements, which include an interview, audition or portfolio review.
If you are a current ASU student thinking about changing your major to a program of study offered in the Herberger Institute, please follow these steps:
- Check your ASU GPA. The Herberger Institute requires students to have an ASU GPA of 2.5* or higher to change their major into the institute. You can check your GPA through the Student Services Center in My ASU.
- If you are a first time freshman without an established ASU GPA and the academic semester has already started, you need to wait to change your major until your grades post for the semester.
- If you are a transfer student, please contact an advisor for consultation.
- *Some majors within the Herberger Institute have higher GPA requirements for full acceptance into the major. Switching your major into the Herberger Institute does not guarantee full acceptance into our majors. If pursuing degrees in the School of Art other than the BA in Art Studies, you must have an ASU GPA of 2.7 and a GPA in art courses of 3.0. If you are pursuing the BA Theatre (acting) or (design and production) concentration or the BA Film (film and media production) concentration you must have an ASU GPA of 2.5 and a GPA in Theatre or Film courses of 3.0.
- Review the interview, audition or portfolio requirements for your major:
- Art: A portfolio review is required for admission into upper division coursework in the School of Art studio majors. Majors in art history and museum studies have grade and GPA requirements.
- Dance: An interview is required for full acceptance into the major and before you can enroll in majors-only dance courses.
- Design: A milestone application.
- Film: An interview and portfolio review is required for the School of Theatre and Film major in film concentration in Film and Media Production.
- Music: An audition is required before you can enroll in music major courses.
- Theatre: An interview and portfolio review is required
for full acceptance into the Theatre major. An additional interview and portfolio review is required for acceptance into the Acting and Design and Production concentrations.
Review Specific Program Requirements Now
- Once you have reviewed the audition, interview, milestone or portfolio information, and you are ready to change your major, you need to schedule an appointment with a Herberger Institute advisor.
Schedule an Appointment
- Please bring the following to your advising appointment:
- A current copy of a DARS report for your intended major. You must run a "what if" DARS for the degree you wish to pursue. Be sure to "open all sections" before you print. DARS Instructions.
- A written, preliminary plan detailing courses you are planning to take next semester.