In 2009, the Arizona Board of Regents approved the merger of the College of Design and the Herberger College of the Arts into the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts and named Kwang-Wu Kim Dean and Director.
Comprised of a dynamic combination of disciplines, the ASU Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts is at the forefront of the investigation of creativity and creative practice shaping the 21st century. Many of the institute's programs consistently rank in the top ten of national peers and encompass over 45 areas of study within its six schools: art; arts, media and engineering; dance; design; music; and theatre and film. The ASU Art Museum and the Herberger Institute Research Center support our research initiatives. Herberger Institute Community Programs projects enable students and faculty to interact with the public through meaningful partnerships. Our students benefit from enriching opportunities for exploration and discovery designed to provide them with the necessary tools to become creative leaders within their chosen professions.
Through the creation of the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts, Arizona State University has placed a spotlight on the importance of the arts and design to our society and the role creativity plays in improving the human experience and in the development of innovative solutions for the global challenges we face in the 21st Century.
History of the College of Design
When the College of Design was established as an independent college in 1964, its founders shared a vision of design excellence. The founding dean, James Elmore, recognized the endless opportunities provided by fostering a strong relationship between the university and the surrounding communities. During Elmore’s tenure as dean, the idea for the Rio Salado project was conceived and brought to realization when the Tempe Town Lake was completed in 1999. The institute’s continuing commitment to community engagement is strong, with community-based studio projects an important component of a student’s learning experience.
During 1949–50, Elmore suggested that ASU develop a two-year technical architecture program to "play the role of a forceful pioneer" in Arizona, with no schools of architecture closer than Los Angeles, Berkeley, or Salt Lake City.
During the 1950s, the program grew to offer the bachelor of architecture degree in the fall of 1957. In its first ten years, the student body grew from 45 to 142 and full-time faculty from two to five members. In 1958, the program became an associate member of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture and the first bachelor of architecture degree was awarded in May 1960. In January 1961, the college’s first accreditation was granted. By the end of the second decade of architectural studies at ASU, the study body had grown to 407 with full-time faculty of 21 members.
The program became the Division of Architecture in 1957 and the School of Architecture in 1959, still within the brand-new College of Engineering and Applied Sciences. On July 1, 1964, the program became the independent College of Architecture.
Through the next decade, the college grew and diversified in the study of architecture, urban design and design. In 1977–78, the college was officially reorganized in three separate departments–architecture, design sciences (interior design and industrial design) and planning. In 1983, the Arizona Board of Regents approved a change in name to the College of Architecture and Environmental Design to more accurately reflect the depth and breadth of design and planning studies within its programs.
The School of Planning was formerly the School of Planning and Landscape Architecture. The bachelor of science in design in urban planning was awarded from 1980 to 1990, with the bachelor of science in planning established in 1991. In July 2004, the landscape architecture program moved to the School of Architecture, now the School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture.
The Department of Design Sciences, established in 1977, was comprised of Interior Design and Industrial Design programs, which moved from the Department of Home Economics and College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, respectively. In 1989, the department was renamed the School of Design. The graphic design program joined the school in June 1996, moving from the School of Art and joining the School of Design. In 2005, the School of Design was disestablished and three separate units–the Department of Graphic Design, Department of Industrial Design and the Department of Interior Design were established. Most recently, the Graphic Design program changed its name to the Department of Visual Communication Design to reflect the interactive and environmental design of today’s graphics profession.
In July 2005, the Arizona Board of Regents approved a name change for the college to the College of Design to reflect the college’s mission to emphasize the importance of design as the bond between its discipline programs.
The bachelor of arts in design studies was approved as a new degree program in the College of Design in May 2006. Approval was received from the Arizona Board of Regents for the Master of Real Estate Development (MRED) accelerated degree program, which is a partnership among the W. P. Carey School of Business, Del E. Webb School of Construction, ASU College of Law and College of Design.
In November 2008, the Arizona Board of Regents approved the creation of the School of Design Innovation to once again group the three design programs: Industrial, Interior and Visual Communication, under one administrative unit.
As part of the Herberger Institute merger announced in 2009, the School of Planning moved to the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences School of Geological Sciences and Urban Planning. The W. P. Carey School of Business now administers the MRED program.
In May 2010, the School of Design Innovation was disestablished and the design disciplines of Industrial Design, Interior Design and Visual Communication Design joined with The Design School.
In February 2011, the Arizona Board of Regents approved the renaming of the school as The Design School.
History of the Herberger College of the Arts
Founded in 1964, the College of Fine Arts at Arizona State University welcomed its first class of students at the beginning of fall semester 1965. The college consisted of the departments of art, music and speech and drama. A fourth unit, the University Art Museum, was dedicated to research, conservation and preservation of works of art.
Henry A. Bruinsma served as the first Dean of Fine Arts. He was no stranger to the ASU campus when he took the reins of the new college. From 1955 to 1956, he served as chair of the Department of Music at ASU (then Arizona State College). Dean Bruinsma guided the College of Fine Arts for 10 years. William Arnold served as acting dean from 1975 to 1976. Jules Heller held the position from 1976 to 1985. Walter Harris served as acting dean from 1985 to 1986. Seymour L. Rosen held the position from 1986 to 1994. J. Robert Wills was dean from 1994 until his retirement in summer 2006.
In 2000, the College of Fine Arts was named The Katherine K. Herberger College of Fine Arts, in honor of Valley arts philanthropist Katherine K. "Kax" Herberger. A longtime Phoenix resident, Mrs. Herberger championed the support and growth of the College of Fine Arts and encouraged its community outreach programs. The schools of art, music, theatre and film, the department of dance and the arts, media and engineering program comprised the academic units of the, then, Katherine K. Herberger College of Fine Arts.
Kwang-Wu Kim, joined ASU in summer 2006, to serve as dean. In spring 2007, the Katherine K. Herberger College of Fine Arts became the Herberger College of the Arts in recognition of the multifaceted arts programs available in the college. Dr. Kim served as the dean and director of the Herberger Institute until June 2013. Michael Underhill served as interim dean from July 2013 to June 2014.
As part of the Herberger Institute merger announcement in 2009, the department of dance became the School of Dance and the arts, media and engineering program became the School of Arts, Media and Engineering.
Dr. Steven J. Tepper was appointed dean of the Herberger Insititute for Design and the arts December 2013, and officially began his tenure July 1, 2014. Tepper, one of the nation's founding thought leaders on the creative campus movement, which places creativity at the center of campus and academic life, is also the associate director of the Curb Center for Art, Enterprise, and Public Policy; and is the nation's leading authority on the lives and careers of arts graduates.